Charlotte Douglas International Airport is the 6th busiest airport in the world in terms of airport activity. Not only does this accolade support international business travelers but is also a critical component to the air freight industry. In addition, the Charlotte Douglas International Airport is strategically located between I-85, I-485, Billy Graham Parkway, and I-77 making this submarket ideal for logistics operations.
The addition of the new Norfolk Southern Intermodal Yard between two runways at the airport provides additional incentives for logistics companies to be located in this submarket.
Airport Submarket Facts:
- 6th busiest airport in the world in terms of traffic
- 8th busiest in the nation in terms of passengers
- 734 daily flights
- 142 Daily Destinations including 32 International
- Approx 15,075,847 SF of Industrial Space
- In 2012 62,019 tons of cargo enplaned and 65,210 tons deplaned
- One of the lowest industrial vacancy rates in the Charlotte area
- Above average lease rates for the Charlotte Market
Norfolk-Southern Intermodal Rail Yard
- Norfolk Southern serves every major container port in the Eastern U.S.
- The new Norfolk Southern Intermodal Rail Yard located at the Charlotte Douglas International Airport is part of an overhaul to the Crescent Corridor totaling $2.5 billion.
- The Charlotte intermodal investment has been over $90 million
- The new intermodal rail yard has the capacity of 200,000 lifts per year with the ability to expand to 600,000 lifts per year.